Tuesday, September 27, 2005

A conventional musical family

I always thought that musicians were unconventional and lived a different kind of bohemian life. Maybe that is just professional musicians, because I realize we are a family full of musicians who lead a pretty conventional, vinyl sided suburb kind of life--except for maybe the homeschooling part, but even that is conventional in the groups I hang around with.

My waymorethanfine husband plays drums and all variety of percussion.
1st born son plays piano, keyboards, guitar and is thinking of taking up the bass (he is 13, but plays keyboards with our adult band.)
2nd born son is in his 3rd year of piano and is considering what instruments he will play when he is old enough to be in the band. He is considering percussion, congas etc...
3rd son taught himself through the primer level piano book last year and is now taking his first year of lessons, he also has some natural ability with the drums and a pretty decent singing voice for someone 8 yrs old.
I play the flute, sing and diddle a little on the piano.

So I guess we are a family of musicians since obviously music plays a big part in our lives. Looking at the schedule we are involved in musical activities 4-5 days a week, we play in 2 different bands, have 4 sets of lessons and 3 practices a week. Wow, that is more than I realized until I wrote it down. So we aren't unconventional, but we are definitely musicians.

I am not a soccer mom, I am a piano mom.

Barb

1 Comments:

Blogger momof3feistykids said...

Hi Barb, I followed you over here from VaEclectic; I enjoyed reading your posts about your identity as an inclusive evangelical home schooler. I, too, have a combination of ideas and beliefs that some people might think "don't go together." To me, you do not seem inconsistent in any way. You strike me as a person who is very comfortable with her own faith and philosophy (and those of others) and a passionate home schooling advocate. In your commitment to inclusiveness, you are living the teachings of Jesus beautifully. Thank you for sharing this terrific weblog.

Steph
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/momof3feistykids

9/28/2005 3:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home