Tuesday, September 27, 2005

An inclusive evangelical unschooling homeschool activist

When people find out I serve on the Board of Directors of the Organization of Virginia Homeschoolers (or VaHomeschoolers) they often wonder how I, as an evangelical Christian, came to be involved with the state organization that is inclusive of all homeschoolers regardless of philosophy, politics, or theology, instead of the organization that has a Christian worldview and requires a Statement of Faith of its board members--wouldn't I fit in better there?

Well maybe, but I have come to the conclusion in my 9 yrs of homeschooling that ALL homeschoolers' interests are served when we are seen by government, news media, and the public as a diverse people united in our love of our children and in our valuing freedom to teach and learn at home* (thanks Shay for those good words). When homeschoolers are viewed as an exclusive group of fundamental Christians, we are pegged as a narrow niche group and our ability to preserve and expand homeschool freedoms becomes limited. That defeats the pupose of being effective for homeschoolers.

The fact is VaHomeschoolers is not the secular statewide homeschooling organization, it is the inclusive statewide homeschooling organization. While those of diverse, unconventional or simply no faith may feel more comfortable in our organization, that does not mean that it is secular or in any way excluding those who embrace the Christian faith--after all they let me serve...lol

A couple of other reasons:
In Virginia (and in most states) the Christian worldview organization has close ties to that national legal defense org that purports to speak for homeschoolers (though they do not speak for me!), and so I have philosophical issues with joining or supporting them.

And Jesus was not exclusive, so why should I be? I do shelter my children in many ways until they are older, but I see no reason to shelter myself from those with common interests and goals in the homeschooling community. And as much as I adore the fellowship of like-minded Christian homeschooling believers, I also choose to work with those of different ideas and beliefs for the good of homeschooling and maybe my light will even shine a bit among those who haven't met my lovely Savior.

Sometimes, it means I bite my tongue when others speak unknowingly but irreverently of something I hold dear or that I remain silent when those of vastly different political views say things I might find offensive, but I think it is worth it. I have made many dear on-line friends and acquaintances with homeschool activists who share my views on independent homeschooling. And on the VaHomeschoolers Board I have made real-life friends with people who probably shake their heads at my 'Jesus freak' mentality, but appreciate that I am willing to work side by side and even hand in hand with those who come from a whole different world of faith.

So in the big world of homeschool activism, inclusivity is Morethanfine and VaHomeschoolers is way Morethanfine!

Barb

1 Comments:

Blogger Marjorie said...

Its easy to marginalize people who are different from ourselves. This happens on many sides and by many groups -- one fear I have of fundamentalist Christianity is that some of them marginalize those who don't believe the same things. But you can flip that, I've met many liberal types who marginalize fundamentalists. Its narrow-minded whichever way the judging goes.

Its a hard line to walk -- to accept all and listen to them. It sounds like you're doing a great job with it and I hope you know that you are glorifying God in so doing.

9/28/2005 7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home