Monday, September 26, 2005

Why Homeschooling?

Why do I homeschool?
Why have I chosen to travel out of the mainstream?
Because I know who my sons' best teacher is (that would be me :)
Because I love being with my kids and I love teaching them (or rather helping them learn) and learning alongside them.
Because it is what God called me to do.
Because we never have to be up early enough to catch the 7:05 bus.

When my oldest was 4 we started Kindergarten (side note from the mom of a 13 yr old high schooler--don't start them early!) and we have never looked back. When each of my sons reached school age, I couldn't even imagine sending them off to be molded and shaped all day by a stranger--I knew most of the other moms did it, but for me it was just never an option (did I mention God's calling?)

But there is one other reason--not my original reason, but a political reason:
Because I no longer believe in the public education system and its results, for both individuals and for society. I have been radicalized by the writings of John Holt and John Taylor Gatto. I believe that traditional public education does more to hinder learning than to educate citizens.

Once upon a time, I loved school, I loved going to school and I was a good student. I became a schoolteacher so I could go to school forever! And I loved teaching school for 7+ years. But I have changed my mind. Go on-line and read some Gatto about the genesis and structure of public school, read some Holt about how children actually learn, maybe you will change your mind too.

In my heart I realize I have no other choice but to homeschool
--and that is Morethenfine with me.

Barb

1 Comments:

Blogger Marjorie said...

Oh wow...I was reading this post and thinking how similar we are, only I'm not sure I was called by God to homeschool, but rather confirmed by God through scripture. Anyway, I was nodding 'yes' to your comments about John Taylor Gatto and John Holt and I realized that my 'confirmation' came from a verse in the Gospel of John. Hmmm...John and the number 3, how mystical!

BTW, for anyone curious about Gatto, go check out this

9/28/2005 8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home