Tuesday, September 27, 2005

All over the map

In my life recently, I have been described as (or described myself as):
Independent Homeschooler
Activist
Jesus Freak
Fundamental
Evangelical
Conservative
Republican
Christian
Left Wing
Radical
Inclusive
Unschooler

One might surmise I was a little confused or at least a little scattered.
I guess it is all about perspective.

1 Corinthians 9 says Paul became all things to all men for the purpose of the Gospel.

Can I be all things to all homeschoolers, to advance the cause of homeschooling while also shining the light of the Gospel with my life?

It is an interesting tight rope walk. It often seems I am either in the midst of a group that thinks I am pretty radical and 'out there' as a
kinda leftist unschooler choosing to work in an inclusive homeschool organization among the radicals --or-- I am the lone evangelical, conservative, Christian republican (shhhh) amidst the inclusive, independent (and very often liberal and/or left wing) homeschool activists. Have I mentioned I try not to talk politics?

So I don't quite fit in here and I don't quite fit in there, but I love being both places.
It seems that even being sort of a misfit can be Morethanfine when you have truly loving and amazing Christian homeschool friends and really talented and passionate Radical homeschooling friends.

(Oh! my radical friends are amazing and loving too and my Christian friends are also talented and passionate...
she said carefully balancing on the rope.)

Barb

1 Comments:

Blogger Marjorie said...

I often wonder if anyone ever feels they fully belong -- I sometimes think we are all sort of outsiders (I mean all people, not just homeschoolers).

Often I'm able to see examples of Christ's love in those who don't profess faith in him. This is probably partly because I'm muddled on the religious front, but its comforting to see God's expansiveness.

9/28/2005 7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home