Tuesday, February 28, 2006

My friend Shay's smart blog!

My friend and colleague at VaHomeschoolers now has her own blog. Shay is the president of VaHomeschoolers and recruited me 2 years ago to serve on the board. We are as different as night and day in many areas but we both love helping homeschoolers and seeing our inclusive statewide organization be strong and vital. Shay is a great writer and I recommend her blog Anecdotal Evidence and her website Synergy Field for interesting reading. A quote from her first post:
"recognize that human beings are hardwired to learn, to allow oneself to dance free of the constraints of institutional thinking, and to truly grasp that most things worth attaining cannot be measured by any test"

That is my kind of talk and a way morethanfine statement on the nature of education. I am reading Alfie Kohn's book "What does it mean to be well-educated?" Very thought provoking. For me it reinforces what I know to be true from my years of school teaching and homeschooling. To be truly well-educated is custom fit, personalized, life long process. Tests and boxes and cookie cutters, bending to the demands of authority and being a good worker bee do not fit into my definition of being well-educated.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shay said...

Hi Barb,

Thanks for the plug! Your comment,
"We are as different as night and day in many areas," had me grinning, but also reminding me of what we have in common, too, even aside from that "we both love helping homeschoolers and seeing our inclusive statewide organization be strong and vital." It is the combination of differences and similarities, coupled with mutual respect, that allow us to be friends despite having different beliefs in some fundamental areas. I really appreciate that about you!

Thanks, too, for mentioning the Alfie Kohn book. I have not read it yet, but your post sparked me to put it on hold at my library, and I am looking forward to curling up with it and a hot cup of chai. I wonder if you drink chai, or are you more a latte' kind of gal? I think we can get along either way. ;-)

-Shay

3/01/2006 8:33 PM  
Blogger Marjorie said...

Vive la difference!

Seriously, I think its very important in the organization and it makes life more interesting.

3/02/2006 4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home